Sunday, July 15, 2018

Life as an Artist


 By guest Bloger, artist Beth Dean of Madison, MS

Beth plein air sketching in Istria 2018

Beginning:


Painting has always a huge part of my life since an early age.  I learned to paint en plein air when I was 8 years old from a well-known local artist, Myra Green of Jackson, MS.  (Of course, nobody in Mississippi CALLED it “en plein air” way back then…..we were just painting outside! )  Myra always had me paint outdoors from life, not photos.  Her wisdom in teaching was in not showing me how to paint a tree, but instructing me to really LOOK at the tree and paint what I saw. What a gift to me as a young child to learn to paint this way! This is truly the heart and soul of painting en plein air.

Returning:


Over the years, I painted off and on, with long breaks due to running a business, raising children and life in general.  After retiring in 1998, I returned to my life-long dream as a professional artist.  I have had the privilege to study from many accomplished artists who have continued my education, stretched my knowledge and encouraged me.  Combining plein air painting with my travel wanderings is an on-going obsession for me.
 
 Beth’s 9” x 12” plein air painting in Harbor of Korcula 2018

                                           
 Beth painting with her students in Croatia 2018
             

Expanding:


I recognized several years ago, while traveling with 2 young sons in tow, that painting with oils en plein air was not always practical.  Sketching became my next-best thing.  My incredibly-gifted-sketcher/architect husband and I gave each son his own sketch book, so it started our travel ritual to sketch at some point every day. ( I find that most children are natural artists and it was a great way to keep them occupied while waiting for food to arrive!)    Over the years, this ritual has added dimension to my direct observation of real life, and has created a tangible memory of wonderful experiences.  I strongly encourage daily sketching, and particularly Travel Sketch Journaling, to artists and to non-artists alike.   You will be surprised how much this will improve your painting and enrich your life.
Travel Sketch example



     Beth teaching Travel Sketch Journaling 2018
       
On-going:

Painting, like life, is not a destination, it is a journey…...  And as that old adage goes:  Drawing will always make you a better painter, but painting will never make you a better drawer.  With these two thoughts in mind, I continue to draw and paint from direct observation daily.  Well, as daily as possible!
I consider it a privilege and obligation to share my knowledge of painting with others, since other artists have graciously shared their knowledge with me. I frequently receive messages from people needing advice, encouragement, lessons or a painting buddy, and I welcome these opportunities. I am most grateful for the experiences and friendships that life as an artist has given me.  Above all, I believe that we are to honor God in all that we do, with the talents and abilities He has given us.  Colossians 3:17

Beth Dean is a Mississippi native who holds a BS in Interior Design from Mississippi State, with an elected emphasis in Renaissance Art History.  She paints en plein air, is a studio painter, and an Urban Sketcher.  Her studio is next to her home on a lake in Madison County. Beth travels frequently to paint and to sketch en plein air.  She is partial to Italy, and loves adventure and discovering places where she gathers inspiration for her paintings.
Beth teaches plein air workshops, studio oil painting, and her most requested workshop, Travel Sketch Journaling. In September, Beth will be teaching a 1-Day Workshop in Helena, AR,  where she is  the Juror of  “Helena on the Mississippi.....en Plein Air” paint-out competition. 
You can see her work and contact her at:

bethdeanstudio on Instagram
Beth Dean Studio on Facebook
Beth Dean Artist on Twitter

A big thanks to Beth Dean for her wonderful post!


Follow this blog about Mississippi artists. In the coming weeks, this site will be publishing works by several plein air painters from around Mississippi. 

Contact Dot Courson at artist@dotcourson.com to find out how to contribute. 


I'm Social!

Click to join me right now at these links:
Website: www.dotcourson.com. 
Newsletter HERE
Instagram: @dotcoursonart

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Beth for this inspiring story about your recent trip to Croatia. What a wonderful painting venue!

    ReplyDelete