Sunday, July 8, 2018

Lessons Learned From Painting Daily



By Guest Blogger artist Carol Roark


Carol painting on her farm north of Charleston, Mississippi 
 In the fall of 2017 with the encouragement of the CSA Award (Community Supported Arts) given by the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council, I challenged myself to paint a painting a day for 200 days.  Over the years, I have heard several instructors talk about this challenge and how it would strengthen you as an artist. I had even done a 30 day challenge here and there, but I had never pinned myself down to a commitment such as this.


 I signed a contract with myself.

What better way to commit yourself to a project, right?... and started to paint. I gave myself a few stipulations:
    1. All of the work would be plein air or if conditions were just impossible, at least from life.
    2. I would not spend more than an hour on each painting. I wanted these paintings to be studies. I wanted to concentrate on mass and value and not details. I wanted to experiment and challenge myself.     
    3. Paintings would be small - no larger than 8” x 10” and most no bigger than 6”x 8”.


What did I learn? 

The first thing I tell everyone who asks me this question, is that I should have done this 25 years ago. The visual education and brush mileage that I gained feels unmeasurable to me. I felt like what I imagine actors feel like when they stay “in character” while working on a specific role. After about 3 weeks, it was like I was always “in character” as a painter. If I wasn’t painting with a brush, I was sketching. If I was sketching, I was painting in my head.
 
Carol happily painting in the happiest place on Earth” 
I tend to be somewhat shy, especially when I am painting, but I learned to break out of my shell and become comfortable painting anywhere (even Disney World!). I also developed a love for the southern landscape and the changing of the seasons like I never have before. Most importantly, I got better and I realized there is NO substitute for brush miles and this is coming from someone who has been painting for many years, just not as focused as this.
 
Carol painting at the Windsor Ruins, a bucket list check!
My project has now come to an end, but I am still on the roller coaster and I’m not sure I ever want to get off - a day or two away from the easel and I almost feel lost. I am now spending my time focusing on larger works and implementing what I learned over the past several months. I also never go more than week without painting plein air.
 
Carol with a few of her 200 paintings during the CSA reception at the Powerhouse in Oxford
So I challenge anyone reading this to try a daily painting project. Go at least 60 days, preferably more. It will rain, the wind will blow, the bugs will come out and it will be hotter and colder than you can imagine, but I can promise you will come away a better painter with an amazing experience.
 Carol Roark is a full time artist and teacher living on the bluff of the Mississippi Delta. She received her BFA from Mississippi State in 1992 and then continued to study painting with artist Sammy Britt after graduation.  She has also had the privilege of studying with Kim English, Jason Saunders and Marc Hanson (who was an influential  mentor through the 200 day project) 

You can view more of her work on her website at www.carolroark.comon Facebook under Roark Studios and on Instagram @roarkstudios.

A big thanks to Carol Roark for her wonderful post!




Follow this blog about Mississippi artists. In the coming weeks, this site will be publishing works by several plein air painters from around Mississippi. 

Contact Dot Courson at artist@dotcourson.com to find out how to contribute. 


I'm Social!

Click to join me right now at these links:
Website: www.dotcourson.com. 
Newsletter HERE
Instagram: Join me as at @dotcoursonart

1 comment: