Sunday, July 1, 2018

Plein Air News From Oxford to Ocean Springs Mississippi... and Beyond




Plein Air Events in Mississipppi

When I first started this blog there had been plein air groups in Mississippi but not a single one was active at the time. Now there are several small groups, and one is especially active in Oxford. My daughter Susan Patton paints with them and our friend Linda Peters serves as the leader of the group. They are the North Mississippi Plein Air Painters. I am mostly a studio painter but do go out if the weather is cool to paint when I'm invited. So (disclaimer here) I'm not the only news source for plein air events in Mississippi, but I do play that role on this blog. If anyone in MS ever has a painting event that I don't know about, just send me your copy and some photos for the blog!  

Susan Patton of Bruce, MS

Here is a photo my daughter artist Susan Patton texted me from the Oxford square this spring telling me she sold her painting right off the easel to a client of hers, an Ole Miss alumni who was in town from North Carolina. Susan was already painting their daughter's portrait so that was a serendipitous moment for them both!  
Susan Patton painting on the square in Oxford, Mississippi. 
  
Susan is known for her lovely plein air work (see images below) but also has a love and interest in portraiture. I love her versatility and here are images of her judging a show in Tennessee and also doing a demo en plein air and teaching portraiture at one of her workshops. She has taught this year in MS, TN and soon will be teaching at an already sold out workshop in Panama City, FL!   You go girl!!
Susan assisting a student in one of her workshops here at my studio.

Susan Patton demo in a Tennessee Plein Air competition in spring of 2018 where she served as judge.

©2018 Susan Patton Art - portrait commission. 

Marc Hanson, OPAM of Pontotoc, MS

My friend Marc Hanson is all over the place. Look at his work on his website. It's inspiring! He lives in Pontotoc but not really because he travels so much. He's sweet and amazing. I'm so happy for him that he was named an Oil Painters of America Master painter this year! He's an "artist's artist" and I like to mention him to people just to make it sound like Pontotoc is a popular art destination, since he lives here.  Marc has been painting around Pontotoc (where he lives- did I mention that?) and other parts of Mississippi, but also travels. A lot. 
This year Marc has painted in Indiana, North and South Carolina coasts, Florida, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, Georgia, Indiana and other places. He was  teaching in most of those places, judging big National shows, etc., ..........and speaking of teaching- He is teaching here this fall at our workshop again! We already have people coming to Pontotoc from New York and even Mexico. When you have workshops in rural areas with master artists you bring the world to our small town! There are still a couple of openings left in his workshop here so contact us HERE if interested. 
Marc Hanson painting at Plein Air South in Port St Joe, 2018.

Marc Hanson paining in Mississippi.

Please note: Correct dates are September 24-29, 2018 for Marc's workshop in MS! 

My Own Plein Air 2018

I favor painting outside... but only in cool weather. So far this year I have been painting around here some and also in Gadsden, Alabama's Plein Air Invitational again, and also in Ocean Springs as described below. We had beautiful weather! 
Knew this was going to be a good one as soon as I glanced at the scene.

The finished painting. (Sold)

Early morning fog was lifting fast as the sun rose......

The above as a finished painting, Available.

As I said, I also went to Ocean Springs at the invitation of event host, my good friend artist Jerrod Partridge who hosted the La Côte en Plein Air - Ocean Springs, MS.  When Jerrod invited me to paint I came down to do it and also to swap out some paintings to the Pink Rooster Gallery there as well.  So I called my good friend Debbie High of Lumberton, MS to go with me. Boy did we have fun! 

My dear friend Phil Sandusky of New Orleans was also invited and I got to see him, and also had the opportunity to get to know some of the Mississippi Gulf Coast painters who were there as well. Like Curtis Jaunsen. Love his remarkable work and it was a treat to finally meet him and become friends.
Phil Sandusky and Dot Courson painting in Ocean Springs


The start of one of my paintings. I love little pink houses!! But I didn't finish it an wiped it off!
This actually was awarded "Artists Choice" believe it or not! ©2018 Dot Courson

Debbie High in her painting apron talking to one of the coastal artists.

Flyer for the event. It was exceptional!! 


Workshops for Plein Air Artists

As I mentioned above Marc Hanson is teaching September 24-28, 2018 and we have a couple spots left. I have had many people who have said they were sending checks but have not yet so first come, first serve. 
This spring we had Jason Saunders of Tennessee teaching en plein air painting. Here is he group out on a cool morning:  



Below is a plein air painting I did of  our neighbor, Mr. Kemp's barn. It is 11x14 and I'm giving it to he and his wife as a gift for letting us (along with about a hundred different artists) paint on all his property all these years!  
Kemp Barn 11x14 Oil. ©2018|Dot Courson

I'm Social!

Hope you will follow me on my own website at www.dotcourson.com. 
Sign up for my Newsletter HERE
I'm also on Facebook an hope you will follow me there.
But if you are into INSTAGRAM, I'm also there as @dotcoursonart

~Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment and please send any questions by email to artist@dotcourson.com ~

No comments:

Post a Comment